RECYCLING OF SOUTH AFRICAN PLASTIC PRODUCTS INTO PROMOTIONAL GIVE-AWAYS BY E’YAKO GREEN
E’Yako Green has taken the bold step of manufacturing promotional give-away products from recycled plastic. Raw materials are sourced and products manufactured in South Africa.
Most of our products are being manufactured from recycled polystyrene, some from recycled polypropylene.
Polystyrene is the number “6” plastic as represented in the symbol above.
Polystyrene is one of the most widely used kinds of plastic and plays a considerable role in our lives as consumers – it is found in our homes, our offices, local grocery stores and our favourite restaurants.
It comes in many shapes and forms (examples):
POLYSTYRENE AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Very little of the waste discarded into our landfills (rubbish dumps) biodegrades. Discarded
polystyrene takes hundreds of years to do so.
Expanded polystyrene ('the squashy white stuff') in particular can be a serious environmental nuisance. It blows in the wind, floats on water and pollutes the outdoor environment, particularly along shores and waterways. Polystyrene foam is also a major component of plastic debris in the ocean, where it becomes toxic to marine life.
POLYSTYRENE CAN BE RECYCLED MANY TIMES.
- Landfill disposal of waste should only be considered as a last resort.
- It is economically and environmentally important that plastic products are diverted from landfills and polystyrene products recycled at the end of their life cycle.
- An effective post-consumer collection system, combined with a viable end market makes it possible to use recyclables rather than raw material to make new products.
- Use less energy
- Reduce pollution
- Save natural resources
- Save scarce landfill space
- Create extra income and jobs
- Reduce littering
THE RECYCLING PROCESS
These are some of the items that have been recycled to make our newly launched license disk holders, key rings and smiley paper clips :
We follow the story of the recycling of hangers to see the progress of a product
becoming something else :
"BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE" (Ghandi)
Go Green * Live Green * Give Green
RECYCLE YOUR POLYSTYRENE
Find a recycling depot in your area :